Hah.
As I figured it would, the movie is getting killed critically.
I don't know. I enjoy reading criticism, mostly because I can't write it well myself. But in terms of paying attention to critics, whether music or films, I've found very few voices that consistently speak to me. That's fine; it all just boils down to debate, which can be fun.
Thing is, I see lines like "Or maybe it's the predictable story about a guy who goes up against crooked corporate sponsors" and wonder to myself, doesn't this idiot know that every movie can be boiled down to a one- or two-sentence pitch? Sure, that device isn't new, but what is? It's the execution, dummy!
Maybe it's my ADD-addled brain, but I still believe that it was a fun movie, a basic David vs. Goliath plot well-acted within the context (this was a Japanese cartoon after all), wonderful visually.
I tend to agree that the movie didn't need to be as long as it was; some of the whiz-bang could probably have been cut to bring it in under 2 hours. Other than that though, for escapist entertainment, the movie is all win.
I loved this line though:
I'm being serious when I caution epileptics to avoid this film.
See? I wasn't kidding.