Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday Kitchen Report - They Call Me Tater Salad

Saw this recipe in the latest issue of Esquire, and I just had to make it.



Fortunately we had almost all the ingredients in stock, and acceptable substitutes for the rest.

My changes:
  • We only had purple potatoes from the farmer's market so I used those.
  • I added some funky purple and red and yellow carrots, also from the farmer's market. Sliced them into very thin discs.
  • No capers.
  • Substituted sardines for anchovies.
  • I used three whole red peppers that I roasted under the broiler for 30 minutes. Half a cup my ass! Roasted red peppers are some of the best things in the world.
  • I went heavy on the crushed red pepper, as I always do.

It's still cooling and setting up right now, but the sample I had was AMAZING! When it's cool, I'll add the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

Highly recommended.