Monday, August 13, 2007

Movie Review

Spent a much-needed night away from home, down in the Catskills on the farm. Four cats, two dogs, and five donkeys (soon to be seven, as two of them are pregnant), tend to have a relaxing effect. Also, plinking cans with a .22.

Brought down Friends With Money, which had been sitting in our neglected Netflix pile for a few weeks. The kitchen has been keeping us busy.

Interesting character-study. Four long-time female friends, now at varying levels of financial, career, and relationship success, struggle with how these changes have affected the friendships. The men are key to the many storylines, I don't want to make them seem insignificant, but the protagonists are clearly the women. The usual assortment of crises, dramatic moments, and comical situations (life is funny, after all).

I usually really like these movies (Nobody's Fool, Sideways, etc.), but something about this fell just a little flat.

I'll give it 3 stars out of 5.

-----------------------------

Ratings scale intro: I'll be using the same rating here as I do at Netflix. They're a little nebulous, but this is how I see them.



1 - Ugh, why can't I give this a zero?
2 - Not terrible, I probably enjoyed some parts, but I'm certainly not going to recommend it.
3 - I liked it. Definitely not a waste of time. Judge from the description if the concept is for you.
4 - I really liked it, and you should see it. You may not like it as much as I did, but you won't feel cheated.
5 - Rave! What are you waiting for? Also, you're just wrong if you don't like it, so bite me.