Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce!

I've been listening to Magic the last few days. I "borrowed" it, so to speak. Let's just say I'll be plunking my money down for the CD. Not only is it the right thing to do, the rip I got sucks.

There are 2 songs that are generically Brucy, as in "eh, not bad, but I already have something like this on a different album." Still solid songs, don't get me wrong, but not overly compelling.

As for the winners? In no particular order:

Radio Nowhere - Rock the fuck on. This demands volume, demands head-bobbing, and you'd better be watch your speed on the highway if it's on in the car. Anthem.

Long Walk Home - I can't listen to this without at least getting choked up. I was actually crying on the way home from work today.

Last night I stood at your doorstep
Trying to figure out what went wrong
You just slipped something into my palm and you were gone

I could smell the same deep green of summer
'Bove me the same night sky was glowin'
In the distance I could see the town where I was born

It's gonna be a long walk home

And it's downhill from there. I may be a sap, but you can't be human if you're not touched by this song.

Last to Die - An excellent anti-war commentary

A downtown window flushed with light
Faces of the dead at five (faces of the dead at five)
A martyr's silent eyes
Petition the drivers as we pass by

Who'll be the last to die for a mistake
The last to die for a mistake
Whose blood will spill, whose heart will break

Who'll be the last to die...


You'll Be Coming Down - Someone's a little too full of herself? There's more here, I'm just not the best at analyzing meaning. It may take a few epiphanies to really get this, and the meaning may change from one listen to the next, but I love it.

Easy street, a quick buck and true lies
Smiles as thin as those dusky blue skies

A silver plate of pearls my golden child

It's all yours at least for a little while

You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out

Then it's gonna get pretty cold out

An empty stream of stars shooting by

You got your hopes on high


Girls in Their Summer Clothes - Just a story. Some nostalgia, some reflection, some pining, some regret... beautiful poetry.

Magic - Again, I haven't figured out quite yet what I'll be taking away from this song yet, but it just sounds right.

Devil's Arcade - Ditto.

I'll Work For Your Love - Um, it's getting dusty in here again...

Pour me a drink Theresa in one of those glasses you dust off
And I'll watch the bones in your back like the Stations of the Cross

'Round your hair the sun lifts a halo, at your lips a crown of thorns

Whatever other deals gone down, to this one I'm sworn


I'll work for your love dear

I'll work for your love

What others may want for free

I'll work for your love


The dust of civilizations and love's sweet remains

Slip off of your fingers and come driftin' down like rain

The pages of Revelation lie open in your empty eyes of blue

I watch you slip that comb through your hair and this I promise you


I'll work for your love dear
I'll work for your love

What others may want for free

I'll work for your love


Well tears, they fill the rosary at your feet, my temple of bones

Here in this perdition we go on and on

Now our city of peace has crumbled, our book of faith's been tossed

And I'm just down here searchin' for my own piece of the cross

In the late afternoon sun fills the room with the mist in the garden before the fall

I watch your hands smooth the front of your blouse and seven drops of blood fall


4.5 stars.

Rolling Stone gives it 5. Oh, and they know how to write.