Friday, December 28, 2007

Movie Review

Empire Falls

Well, more of a mini-mini-series. An HBO original, based on a novel by Richard Russo. He's probably my favorite short story writer, yet I've never read any of his full-length novels. As soon as I fucking get Cryptonomicon off my table, I'm ready to attack the stack, and I will soon rectify the Russo/novel situation. I will probably start with this very story, because it's so fresh in my mind, and because it's not that often I get to do the book-movie thing in reverse. Usually, I've read the book, and dread the movie, or possibly look forward to it with reservation.

In any case, I highly recommend this 2-disc set, which we Netflixed. A stellar cast (Ed Harris, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Helen Hunt, Robin Wright soon-to-be-ex-Penn, Paul Newman, Aidan Quinn, Joanne Woodward, Dennis Farina, and on and on), a stellar character study.

Miles Roby (Ed Harris), is a simple man (note: not simpleton), living a quiet life in a quiet town in Maine. He wants more for himself and his daughter (he's soon to be divorced), but is afraid to pursue his dreams, crippled by the ever-present fear of change. There are always reasons, always excuses. Even his current responsibilities are just crutches, really.

You must watch this.

5 stars.