Friday, December 28, 2007

Movie Review

Finding Neverland

Well, so much for a light, escapist movie on a Friday night.

Jeebus Tittyfucking Christ, was the room dusty tonight. That's my only excuse, because I sure as hell wasn't wearing my contacts. If the scene at the end, with JM Barrie and Peter sitting on the bench and that boy's big blue eyes welling with tears doesn't just break your heart and fill you with hope at the same time, then you're just not human. Oh yes, there may be tissues involved. But not in the porn kind of way.

I went into this with no background on Barrie the man, other than he wrote Peter Pan. I've not read nor seen anything else he's done. For all I know, he's a one hit wonder. I'll have to find out more. It's funny, as much as I love to read, and I do so constantly, I never seem to catch up on my list, much less make progress. I swear, if I won the lottery, I'd play golf, work for charity, travel, and read. And I still wouldn't feel like I read enough.

Johnny Depp is his usual great self, Kate Winslet is very good, and Freddie Highmore as the real-life Peter is just friggin' outstanding.

4 stars.