Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homebrew Update / Beer Blogging

My homebrew was percolating full-bore this morning, only 9 hours after I had closed up the bucket. Now, 11 hours later it's starting to foam out the airlock. This is going to make a mess over the next couple days. I need some sort of super-tall bucket for these monster brews, with plenty of headroom for foam.

Bill's beer hasn't even started bubbling yet, but that's not unusual. He made a coffee stout with a pound of Starbuck espresso beans. That'll knock the snot out of the yeast for a little while. Should be fine by the morning.

And speaking of beer, here's a quick-shot beer-blog of what we drank:



OUSTANDING! Probably the pumpkiniest one I've every had, the aroma off the foam was pure pumpkin pie, and the flavor was perfectly balanced so that it didn't overpower. Job well done, Southern Tier.




Good. The ginger was almost too faint, which for me is saying something - I hate it when adjuncts are too overpowering (see any of Sam Adams' disgusting fruity concoctions). This was a very solid pils regardless, but I found myself looking for just a tad more ginger. That's why you buy the damned thing after all, isn't it?




OUTSTANDING!!! This was the winner of the evening. Never heard of these guys before, but they have a mighty impressive lineup of beers and two brewpubs in PA. I will definitely be getting another one of these to do a full-on review, but from the initial aroma down to the last sip, I was in love.