Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day addendum - Fucking With Cats edition

In the post below, I told you that Meeko is a newcomer to the household, a pound dog brought in after Duke passed.

Well, he looks a lot like like Duke. Enough like Duke, in fact, that the cats didn't bat a, um, whisker(?) when he was brought home. At first...

There Meeko is, out on the patio with Mom and Don, sprawled out and loving his new home. Out of the house comes Sylvia, casual as can be, to within a foot of the black dog. Sniff? In an instant, arched back, every single hair standing on end, tail frizzed out like a bad 80s perm, huge howl/hiss, and she was out of there.

A couple minutes later, here comes Ginger, back from a hunting and/or garden-pooping session. Same thing. Up on the patio, walking along all casual-like, heading for the patio door when... sniff? ARCH/FUZZ/HISS and out of there.

Of course, here comes Midnight around the corner wondering what all the fuss is. Hey! Duke's back! Waddle on over. Sniff? ARCH/FUZZ/HISS!

Yeah, I wish I had been there for all of that. I don't know how Tufts got his introduction, but I'm sure it was amusing in its own way. First, Tufts doesn't do anything that can be reasonably called running. Not at 21 pounds, anyway. Second, he's a little shit. He probably sniffed, turned his nose up, and walked away. "Christ, not another one..."