Sunday, September 14, 2008

SNL recap



UPDATE: Got the full-length one. "And I can see Russia from my house" has got to be one of the funniest lines ever.

The opening was fantastic. Tina Fay rocked Sarah Palin, right down to the voice/accent.

After that, it was fucking terrible until a fake T-mobile commercial (excellent) and one of Samberg's insane digital shorts (even more insane than usual; I liked it).

We went through entire skits without even a grudging giggle, and I couldn't help but wonder how did they got past Wednesday's review, much less to the actual show? I mean, I've read behind-the-scenes accounts of a typical week at SNL, and it's a brutally competitive environment. You start the with 100s of ideas that get pitched, and they slowly get whittled down to the ones that will make Saturday, and even then fully fleshed-out skits get axed at dress rehearsal just hours before the broadcast. So how the fuck are these duds the winners?