Life is Beautiful
Yes, I had never seen this before. Amazing movie. It deserved every bit of praise it got. 5 stars.
Walk on Water
A beautiful story of Jews and Germans and how the past colors the present. I remember that night we had three DVDs in-house, and we were looking for something light. Unfortunately they were all dark movies, at least by the description on the Netflix label. We picked this, and were pleasantly surprised. The issues were difficult, of course, but the end somehow felt... uplifting. 5 stars.
The Break-up
I didn't expect wonders here, just your typical rom-com. Vince Vaughn is usually funny, Jennifer Aniston is pretty good in her movies. Couple breaks up, fights over the condo they co-own. There were some truly funny moments, but Erica and I both agreed that there was too much mean and not enough funny. A couple of the conversations/arguments they had were painfully accurate though. Every now and then Erica and I would look at each other and say "Yup, I've had that one 5 times..." 3 stars.
The Simpsons Movie
Exactly what one would expect. Very funny stuff. "We're going to need more birds" had us both rolling, and Erica is still singing "Spider-pig" today. 4 stars.
--------------------
Ratings scale recap: I use the same rating here as I do at Netflix. A little nebulous, but this is how I see them.
1 - Ugh, why can't I give this a zero?2 - Not terrible, I probably enjoyed some parts, but I'm certainly not going to recommend it.
3 - I liked it. Definitely not a waste of time. Judge from the description if the concept is for you.
4 - I really liked it, and you should see it. You may not like it as much as I did, but you won't feel cheated.
5 - Rave! What are you waiting for? Also, you're just wrong if you don't like it, so bite me.