Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Toaster League Pick-'ems Challenge

Last week, I stated (and Toast agreed) that it was ridiculous that Arizona was only favored by 3 over Seattle. Nightshift disagreed, basing his argument on the fact that Vegas isn't predicting margins, they're just trying to balance the money.

This is, of course, true. But it didn't change the fact that that was a ridiculously easy spread to bet on. That the line didn't move to 6-7 by game-time surprised me.

When I celebrated my "win" on that pick, Shift had to point out my middling place in the Pick-'em standings. "Would that be the "angelos is in the bottom half of the game pickers" truth or the "even blind squirrels will find a nut now and then" truth?" Yeah, well fuck you too. I wasn't claiming I had a foolproof system (though I'll gladly create one if you subscribe for only $19.99 a month), I would say that there are always a couple spreads each week that are out of whack. In both my picks leagues, I pick all the games, and of course there are games I have no idea — and I would never touch them in Vegas. But I can always find two or three games I feel very good about.

So, for the gang in our Toasters pick league, and TJ and my brother if they want to participate based on the spreads in Ken's pool, here's the challenge for the final 6 games of the year.

After you make your picks, let me know by e-mail, or in the Couch™ thread, one to three "most confident" picks. Six picks to eighteen picks for the rest of the season. This is about making money. Assume a $100 bet with a 10% vig. Can you beat 52.4%, and make money?

I'll post results every Tuesday.

It's on.