Saturday, March 01, 2008

I am not remotely qualified...

So... Mike Doughty's new album, Golden Delicious, came out 10 days ago (2/19). Eager with anticipation, I stopped at Best Buy right after work. Their new releases are usually $9.99 loss-leaders, and I have some Rewards coupons. I figured I'd walk out of there with a $4.99 album. They didn't have it. In fact, they didn't have his first album either. Not even a Doughty section in the Ds. WTF?!?! Walk over to the S area, and sure enough all the Soul Coughing stuff is there. Fuck me.

Drive home, all pissed off.

See if I can find a torrent. 1 seed, not working well at all. Nothin' doin'. Go to Amazon, order the fucking thing. Wednesday, I wake up to an e-mail that my purchase has been shipped. Awesome. Sometimes, when you select free shipping on Amazon, they throttle your order at the warehouse. But once it hits the mail, you're golden.

Stupid me, being optimistic. Friday rolls around, still nothing in the mail. Fuck that noise. Back to the torrents. A few more seeds available by now, and by 10pm, I had it.

Seven days, 20+ listens, and I'm still working on a review. I just can't express my love for this album in words with which I am happy.

Up with a mediocre review, I shall not put!

So, you'll just have to wait. Meanwhile, go buy this album.

Side note: The CD came Tuesday. One week in the mail. Of course, as I was sitting in my 2.5 hour commute that day, I realized that I had picked up his first album, Haughty Melodic, at Barnes & Noble, where they're much more likely to carry more esoteric stuff. AAARRRGGHHH, why didn't I fucking think of that a week ago?!?!?!? I am a big stupid.