Thursday, January 15, 2009

Homebrew Report - 1/12/09

Bill and I brewed Monday, and it was about time. My two kegs were drained at my December party, and I haven't had time since, with the holidays and all.

Batch 1: Strong Amber
  • Bring 9 lbs Munton's Amber DME to a boil in 3 gallons of water
  • Add 1 oz Centennial Hops and 1 oz Saaz hops (bagged)
  • Boil 45 minutes
  • Add 1 oz Saaz hops (bagged)
  • Boil 15 minutes
  • Add 1 oz Cascade hops (loose)
  • Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat

Batch 2: Pale Ale
  • Bring 6 lbs Munton's Extra Light DME to a boil in 2.5 gallons water
  • Add 3 oz Nugget hops (bagged)
  • Boil 45 minutes
  • Add 1 oz Nugget hops (bagged)
  • Boil 15 minutes
  • Add 1 oz Liberty hops (loose)

Now, this was a fuck-up on my part. One of those ounces of Saaz from the first batch was supposed to be the finishing hops for the second batch. I wanted the Amber to be heavy and malty, and the pale ale to be regular strength and really hoppy.

Oops!

Fortunately, Bill had some hops left over because he bought 2 oz bags and only needed one ounce of the Liberty.

Mine were perky bright and early the next morning, and of course Bill's was not. I have no idea what he does to yeast... we follow the same damned procedures! Cool the wort to 75-80, add yeast, aerate thoroughly. That his never start within 24 hours makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I'll definitely have to rack them down this weekend, to get mine off the hops sludge (both my beers had the final ounce loose in the wort, as opposed to being removed when the boil was over). I'll gravity-test and we'll make sure there was no sticking.